Welcome to Midlands Mediation Center.
If you are here, you are in the right place.
Our mission is to help individuals and organizations resolve conflict, improve relationships and strengthen community.
MMC is a Certified Partner Agency of the United Way of the Midlands.
MMC is located adjacent to Columbia College at 4801 Colonial Drive in Columbia, SC, 29203 on the second floor of the College Place United Methodist Church(CPUMC). While CPUMC considers MMC a valued community partner, MMC is not affiliated with the United Methodist Church.
For more information, please call: (803) 714-1176
Read more »
Benefits of Mediation
Mediation presents the opportunity to peacefully express conflict and to “hear each other out,” even when an agreement is not reached. - National Association For Community Mediation
Why Use Mediation?
- It is informal.
- It is confidential.
- It saves participants time and money.
- It emphasizes problem-solving.
- It allows participants to contribute more directly to the outcome.
What is Mediation?
- Mediation is a confidential, non-adversarial process. It relies on a neutral third party — a mediator — to facilitate the flow of a conversation about the conflict.
- The mediator guides the conversation as the parties create their own agreement. A mediator is not there to provide legal advice or expertise and does not take sides. Instead, he or she acts as a non-judgmental third party who facilitates problem-solving between the parties.
- Participating in mediation does not prevent the parties from pursuing other options, if they do not reach agreement. However, MMC believes that, in many cases, mediation provides a better way and leads to more peaceful solutions.
We wish to convey our heartfelt thanks to our 2014-2015 funders (Richland County, SC Bar Foundation, Lexington County, City of Columbia, Smith Family Foundation and others), which have made it possible to provide many of our services.
We also wish to thank our community partners and community mediation and family mediation clients for their support through MMC’s fee for services program.
Finally, we gratefully acknowledge the donated time and expertise provided by student intern volunteers enrolled in Columbia College, the University of South Carolina (USC) School of Social Work, and the USC School of Law Pro Bono and Non Profit Programs.
Read more »